Fragrant Thai Squash Soup
When it's cold and wintery outside, I find soup is the perfect lunch to warm you up. This recipe has great flavours and a good kick of chilli for a bit of extra warmth! To make this Vegan friendly then simply substitute the fish sauce and use Tamari instead of the Soy Sauce.
- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- 3 Shallots
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 thumb-sized Piece of Ginger
- 1 Stick of Lemongrass or 1tsp of Minced Lemongrass
- 1tsp Fish Sauce
- 1tsp Soy Sauce
- 1tsp Palm Sugar
- 1 tin of Coconut Milk
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Small bunch of Coriander
5 minutes to prepare and 20minutes cooking time on the hob
- Finely chop the shallots, garlic, chilli, ginger, coriander and lemongrass (if not using minced lemongrass). Peel the butternut squash, discard the seeds and chop into chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and when hot, add the onion and fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and heat for a minute before adding the fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar and butternut squash, stirring everything together.
- Continue to heat for a few minutes before adding the coconut milk and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Put the lid on the pan and leave for 10-15minutes until the butternut squash is cooked through.
- Add the chopped coriander, squeeze in the lime juice and take off the heat.
- Using a hand blender, blitz in the pan until smooth and serve straight away.