Fridge Raid Grains
Sometimes I come up with my most delicious recipes with leftovers from the fridge. This is a simple, delicious and healthy Vegetarian dinner or lunch.
Serves 1 (simply double the ingredients for two)
- 125g quinoa, rice or bulgur wheat (whatever you have leftover!)
- 1/3 of a block of Haloumi
- 1/2 a Red Pepper
- 1/2 a Red Onion
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 4 Green Olives
- 6 Jalapeños
- Large handful of Baby Spinach
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce or Tabasco
- 1 tbsp Groundnut Oil
- Black Pepper to season
Takes a couple of minutes to prepare and 10 minutes cooking on the hob
- Finely chop the red pepper, garlic and red onion, slice the olives and chop the jalapeños in half.
- Slice the haloumi and add to a dry frying pan. Turn over when browned and cook on the other side then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the groundnut oil to the same pan and when heated, add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds before adding the red pepper. Fry for a few minutes before adding the olives, jalapeños and rice (or other grains) with a splash of cold water.
- Cut the cooked haloumi into chunks and add to the pan to heat through with the baby spinach.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon, hot pepper sauce or tabasco and season with black pepper.